At Fit Kidz, we deliver fitness activities for children and young adults via school curriculum, clubs and care home sessions. These range from assault courses to bootcamps, and circuit training sessions to games and other physical activities. Our clubs are delivered at various locations across Stevenage.
Through our sub-brands FIT ADULTZ and FIT FAMZ, we offer individual PT sessions, couples/partners sessions, various group exercise classes and family fitness sessions. From circuit training to bootcamps, functional exercise to padwork sessions, we have all bases covered! We operate across various locations in and around Stevenage.
Across the board, we offer great value for money and customer service! Initial ‘meet and greet’ sessions are organised with any new or prospective adult clients. These give us the opportunity to learn a little bit more about you, your current situation, and future goals/targets. This is followed up with a FREE taster session to ensure we’re happy to work with each other at which point we can start to test the water with some fitness activity.
Fit Kidz CIC is a registered Community Interest Company (company number 1199372) and we support the charity HOOP (Helping Overcome Obesity Problems)… if this alone isn’t enough to persuade you to get your kids ‘active’ with us I don’t know what will! So we’re uniquely positioned to make a difference in people’s lives! We believe we are the ONLY local provider of our kind. Find out more about HOOP at www.hoopuk.org.uk (registered charity number 1150683).
Finally, we have full liability and indemnity insurance, and our trainers are all registered members of CIMSPA (Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity). For further details, please ask.
In a nutshell, we’re passionate about health and fitness; we’re dedicated to helping improve peoples’ lives; we’re keen to promote a healthy lifestyle; and we’re eager to improve the outlook for our children and future generations!!! Read our views on the importance of kids fitness, fitness requirements, and the obesity epidemic below.
Why is kids fitness important?
- Kids need physical activity to build strength, coordination and confidence, and to lay the groundwork for a healthy lifestyle
- They learn about sportsmanship, setting goals, meeting challenges, teamwork, and the value of practice
- Interaction builds social skills and strong long-lasting friendships
- Kids who enjoy sports and exercise tend to stay active throughout their lives. And staying fit can improve self-esteem, prevent obesity, and decrease the risk of serious illnesses such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart diseases later in life
Fitness requirements for kids
- Kids should get 1-hour or more of moderate and vigorous physical activity on most or all days
- They should participate in several bouts of physical activity or more each day
- They should avoid periods of inactivity of 2-hours or more (unless sleeping of course)
- Organised sports like football, with practice or games once or twice a week, is not enough to reach activity goals… and physical education in schools can no longer be relied upon to provide enough activity for kids
- Physical activity should therefore be part of a daily routine… this can include household chores to family walks with the dog (if you have one)… but try to make them fun and rewarding!
- Allow enough time for free play. Kids can burn more calories and have more fun when left to their own devices. Playing tag, riding their bike (and Stevenage is very well equipped for bike rides), and building a snowman are all fun and healthy activities
- Keep a variety of games and sports equipment on hand. It doesn’t have to be expensive – an assortment of balls, hula-hoops, and jump ropes can keep kids busy for hours
- Limit time spent in sedentary activities such as watching TV, playing video games or apps, or being online (unless any of them have a physical demand)
- Take advantage of local playgrounds, parks and athletics fields. Make family fitness outings part of your regular routine. Go hiking, ice skating, or try out rock climbing?! Go to Air Space (indoor trampoline park), 360 or Partyman World (kids indoor play), or Hollywood Bowl (tenpin bowling), all available in Stevenage
- Be active together! It’ll get you moving, and kids love to play with their parents
Remember: You’ll help show your kids that exercise is important by regularly exercising yourself!
Our view on obesity
The obesity epidemic, as we’ve heard on numerous occasions and through various news channels, is an ever increasing problem. The government has recently announced strategies such as a ban on energy drink sales to children and a reduction of salt used in the production of everyday foods. This is, of course, a welcome step forward in tackling one of the leading causes of early death and blighted lives, After smoking, obesity is the single greatest cause of early deaths in the UK… some 30,000 people die early each year because of it. It results in more years of unhealthy life, diminishing the quality of life for people across the country. And obesity increases the prevalence of many physical and mental health issues, from heart disease to diabetes, to cancer and depression.
Childhood obesity has become the greatest cause for concern. For children in year 6 obesity rates have increased at an alarming pace – around 5% a year for the past decade – so that now one in three children are obese by the time they leave primary school. The rate of childhood mental illness is accelerating and is both a cause and a symptom of the obesity crisis. More and more kids lead sedentary lives (due to gaming and the like) rather than actively playing outdoors, and so more are likely to be obese. As a society, we urgently need to rethink how we raise our children.
At Fit Kidz, what we’d really like to see is
- Children leading a more active and healthy lifestyle
- A simpler food labelling system that helps people to make healthier choices
- Local authorities given power to stop fast-food outlets opening near schools
- Outlets prevented from selling high-calorie products to schoolchildren
- A ban on junk food advertising near the school gates
There are wide-ranging causes of obesity but, above all, it is a social challenge. It is about education and social norms for eating and exercise. It is about how food companies formulate their products; package and label them; how they are priced and displayed in shops. It is about sedentary childhood years followed by sedentary jobs. It is about the quality of our public spaces and transport systems. Work and school play a crucial role! That’s why we at Fit Kidz are here, to help make a difference at local level. Because now is the time for more action and more investment… the quality and length of our children’s lives depend on it.
All The Latest Social Media Posts – Videos, News & Event Announcements
Fit Kidz @ Home Live Social Feed
Fit Adultz TV Live Social Feed